Thank you for supporting this site with purchases made through links in this post.
Making a cup of chicory (herbal) coffee is as easy as making a cup of tea. But this herbal coffee is dark, for those of us who love a rich, bold, slightly bitter punch, and tastes a lot like real coffee. To add to its allure, it has the nutritional benefit of containing prebiotics, actually the highest concentration of inulin in any plant!
Scroll to the bottom of this post to see more of chicory’s health benefits. There are SO many!! 🙂
Prebiotics are GREAT for colon and gut health. They feed probiotics; so they’re at home in your gut with every meal, helping the friendly bacteria to proliferate. (source)
Personally I love decaffeinated coffee; and I love herbal coffee mixtures. But what I learned is that chicory alone is excellent in flavor, easy and quick to make, and INEXPENSIVE!
I was buying a yummy herbal coffee blend that was pricey, and now I see, unnecessary.
When I found bulk chicory, I thought I’d experiment to see how it was on its own. All the recipes I’d seen online included blends with dandelion root and many other ingredients. I don’t always have the time nor the desire to blend one more canister of herbs. I want simple– yet dark and rich and satisfying.
That is exactly what I got with chicory. It stands on its own beautifully. We can all add dandelion and other roots, if we choose, but they aren’t needed to make a healthful, flavorful blend– just optional if you want additional benefits or nuances.
Roasted chicory root is also excellent mixed (in varying ratios) with real coffee grounds. This, of course, is done in New Orleans. And it’s done by many who are trying to reduce their caffeine intake.
Here’s how to make basic one-ingredient Chicory “Coffee” (and a few variations):
Health Benefits of Chicory
- Chicory root is anti-inflammatory and great for cardiovascular health. (source)
- Chicory helps to support and detoxify the liver. (source)
- Because of its prebiotic qualities, it relieves constipation and helps to prevent colon cancer. (source and source)
- Chicory triggers the gall bladder to release bile, making it great for digestion. (source)
- Inulin helps blood sugar levels and helps to expel toxins. (source and source)
- Chicory is HIGH in antioxidants. (source)
- It is anti-fungal. (source)